Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Discovery Lake Trails After the Fire


It has been about 8 months since the fire devoured the forests on top of the Discovery Hills. The trails leading to Double Peak park have been closed since the fire last June. Now finally the trails are open again after they replaced the burnt fences, see the picture.
As you can see the trees are growing again. Sections of the old fence are still intact and were kept in their place, but the burnt ones were replaced as is obvious in the picture. It was a blessing that they repaired this trail because it is one of the best trails around. So last Sunday I hiked on it up to the point where the loop starts. The loop is a 10 km trail that goes around through Double Peak Park. I took a right at the loop and reached the top of the ridge where I could see a view of the ocean from there.
The path that I took can be seen on the map to the right. It took 1 hour and 38 minutes round trip and the total climb was 1057 ft as can be seen on the data of the map. It is a very nice climb and the weather was fantastic. The only concern I have now is that recently a mountain lion was spotted in the area. I was encouraged by the many hikers who were on the trail during the weekend which makes it quite unlikely that the mountain lion would come near us humans in large numbers. It is not advised to hike alone, especially that I know that coyotes thrive there as well; I took a picture of one from my window once. Coyotes should not attack humans, at least not adults, but who knows, I heard there are new breeds who do attack humans. In any case, that is why it is advised not to hike alone. So as long as there are many hikers in the weekend it should be safe.

No comments: